Friday, May 29, 2009

Polar F6

My Polar A5 has been acting up. In the middle of a workout recently, I looked down to view my HR and it only read 60. I knew that was wrong because I was huffing and puffing and sweating like a pig. (Isn't that an odd saying, since technically, pigs can't sweat. They don't have sweat glands. But I digress, I have drifted off topic.) So after my workout, I tried everything I could think of doing to revive my HRM. But finally at 9:30, according to the clock on my cable box, I had to call it. "Time of death, 9:30." I closed my eyes for a moment of silence and reflected on all the good times. I bought it back in 2002 and it has been good to me.

I waited a few days before venturing online to look for a new one. I almost felt as if I was cheating but I knew she would want me to go on with my life. So I went online to Heart Rate Monitors USA and bought me an F6. It is very similar to my A5 but it is pink. I usually don't buy pink things but my choices were black (masculine shape) or this funny green. I would have preferred it a brighter pink but it will do. There is a brighter pink one for the F11 but it has more bells and whistles than what I needed.


I have used it three times and I am in love with it. It has a diary that stores up to twelve weeks worth of work outs. It will tell me information, by day, by week or a summary of all. But that isn't even the best thing. I can upload, for free, all my workouts to the Polar Training Site. Now, I do this on my laptop and it has a sound card and a microphone, both are necessary to use this feature.

First you create a user at the training site and download the free software. You enter your login information for the training site into the software. Ok, here is where it gets cool. You open up the software, pick up your F6 and travel to your files and there is a "send" button. Click "listen" on your software then place the F6 next to the mic and press "send". You will hear a screeching noise and that is normal. But when it is all said and done, your work out information will auto populate to your online training site.

You can add other information such as distance (the F6 does not calculate distance), free text field for personal notes and you can name the exercise. I name it the day of C25K. For example, the one for May 28th is labeled "W3D2". It also can set up training for you. Just tell it your goals and it will do the rest. I will probably use that once I finish C25K.

It is a great little tool. It also gives me a better idea of how many calories I have burned and I am able to determine my AP points more accurately. If you are a Weight Watcher user, you will understand. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I need to get an HRM soon...wish I had the $$ to run out and get one right now...but sadly I have to wait :(....thanks for the info!! Kris :)

    ReplyDelete