Friday, November 6, 2009

Where's Waldo, uh I mean Fluffy?

I have been MIA for a few days. The good news is that I am 100% after my 10K. The bad news is that life has taken over my , well, uh running life. My husband started a new job this past week and is working long hours. We also run our own business and now I am doing it by myself...well and some employees also. My daughter has gone back to year round swimming so I am driving her around town in the afternoon. I am going to have to analyze my schedule and make time for running. It is a priority...like brushing my teeth and I miss it.

I have a 5K this weekend and I can't wait. I received my number this past week. So while I am contemplating whether to run or walk, I thought Iwould share some information for those that are signing up for their first 5K.
  1. Don't wear your free Tshirt to the race. Save those for other races. They are usually cotton so you will probably want to wear a tech shirt anyway.
  2. Have an idea about your pace and don't go to the front of the pack at the starting point unless you plan to run to win. People at the front are trying to win and to have to weave around walkers or slower pace people makes it difficult...you'll understand as you run and have to go around someone. I usually start near the back. You usually will get a timing chip, it doesn't start your time until you go over the mat at the starting line.
  3. If you think you will take more than 45 minutes, take some water. There may not be water stops close enough to hydrate you.
  4. Practice running and drinking out of a cup. I know it sounds silly but they handed me a small dixie cup on my first run and I found I couldn't get the water from the cup to my mouth...it ran down my chin.
  5. Get there early enough to do a 5 minute warm up... you have a tendency to start running at the starting line because everyone else is running...but they probably did a warm up.
  6. Adrenaline is your friend on this day. You will find you will run faster and longer on this day than on your training runs.
  7. That being said...run your pace, not the guy's next to you. You could hit a wall if you start out too fast because you are trying to keep up with someone else.
  8. It is okay to walk...there are no police to scoop you up if you stop to walk.
  9. Most importantly, have fun and look for the free food at the end of the race...hey, you deserve it!

Happy Running!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Hey...how are you? Did you run or walk? Wanted to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering, too!!! Don't you know you need to keep us updated??? LOL....I hope you had an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete