Thursday, June 10, 2010

The weird friend

I am learning to love the treadmill again. And yes, it is a learning process. It isn't like my first meeting with my husband where I just knew I would fall in love with him and want to be with him for the rest of my life. No, no, it is more like the weird kid that showed up in school one day and you avoided them as much as you could. Then you were paired with them in science lab and over time you learned to appreciate some of their qualities...perhaps their ability to do all the gross things that you didn't want to do. And over time you became friends. Certainly not best friends but you said "hi" in the hallway or chatted with them at a party. However, if I remember correctly, the parties were so loud, you really couldn't chat. Anyway, that is the kind of relationship I have with my treadmill. It is the weird kid that showed up in my living room one day and now I have to play nice with it.

The other day me and my weird friend watched Bridget Jones Diary. I LOVE that movie! Like the love I have for my husband, sorry baby. I loved it the first time I saw it and I loved it just as much the 99th time I saw it. So it was nice to have my best friend and my weird friend all in one room and we were all okay with it.

After reading an article from Active.com, I decided not to push myself too much so I kept it a walk for the movie. (You were right, Mike). When I was in high school, I played on the Varsity Soccer team. (Ok I was on the Varsity team because we only had a handful of girls that wanted to play and not because I was any good.) Well at the last game, I injured my ankle. I wanted to get out of the game but the coach kept telling me, "Do it for the Seniors!". I was a sophomore and could care less about the seniors. Anyway, the trainer taped my ankle really tight, to numb it, and pushed me on the field. Every time, I would get to the point where I couldn't put any weight on it, they would tape me tighter. Any who, by the time all is said and done, 20 some years later, my ankle acts up. So while one the treadmill for my 3 miler, I felt something in that ankle. It wasn't pain but it was a discomfort. So the next day I only did 2 miles. Today I will try 3 miles again.

One of my friends from active.com (wideguy) is going to run with me tonight. Well he is in some place in EST and I am in CST. So about 6:20 CST I will be running. Hope to see you there...virtually. I'll be with the weird one. Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Now see, I wish I had a treadmill. I love walking, but living in upstate NY, the weather isn't always conducive. So it would be nice to have.

    Have you ever read Bridget Jones' Diary? Great book.

    Try getting an ankle brace to wear, even if it isn't acting up. My ankles are weak, so I wear mine if I'm going on a long walk or going to be running. You can get them for about $7 at Wal-Mart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a treadmill. I've resolved to start the c25k program on monday and will run my first 5k on july 31st. But I wish I could do the training in the hidden comfort of my own home instead of out in the real world where people can see me running. lol

    I've not watched Bridget Jones Diary in too long. I must remedy that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your weird friends....hope you are able to get outside at some point to get a run or two in. I hope things are well with you and your family :)...

    ReplyDelete