Friday, October 16, 2009

Community

Have you every woke up to a perfect day? I did this morning. We had a rare day of low humidity, clear skies and cool temperatures. Let me define cool. It had not reached 80 degrees. Nuff said. So my run today was very freeing. I was free of exhaustive heat, high humidity and mosquitoes.

And can I just give a shout out to the men that work for the city and cut the grass at our city parks and along the trail? They are always so considerate to runners. If you run by them, while they are mowing or weed eating, they will stop their machines and wait for you to run or walk by them. I don't care if you are male, female, young or old. They will stop. I really appreciate that. I have bad allergies and try not to run on Tuesdays because that is their normal day to do the parks. But sometimes the rain prevents them from mowing on Tuesday and our schedules collide. Such was the case this week. So here ya go lawn men...Cheers for being so considerate!! You rock!!

It was a great day to run because I wasn't try to run from mosquitoes so I was able to focus on other things. I mainly focused on you guys. If you have never heard me say it before, when I run sometimes I think of you guys. All of you come to mind, Kris, Christina, Jen, Rebekah, Tina, Mr. And Mrs F, GoIrish, CarrieN, Bsrmm( i never get that one right), Libby and everyone else that logs into the sites that I visit. I think about how your last run went and what the weather is like on your runs. I do a little comparison. No snow here and no hills to conquer. I just have flat trails and great weather.

Last night at Bible study we talked about the church and aspects of church, such as community, accountability, encouragement and unity. And all of those traits ring true in our daily threads. We all encourage eachother when we have good runs, or when we can't seem to get out to run or just had, what we felt, is a bad run. We check in with eachother on Facebook or Twitter when we haven't seen someone in a while. We all seek to become more fit and to be more than what we already are. We check in daily in our thread to see how everyone is doing. Yes, what we have is community.

Now, you may not have the same belief system as I do or have any belief system but the good advice still rings true. If you haven't found a community of friends to share your running experience go out and get some. Go online to weightwatchers.com or active.com and make some friends. Or you can go to meetup.com and find some local running buddies. In either case, don't do this alone. You were built for community. You will find that as you run, you will do so much better when you aren't alone. Even if your running buddies are thousands of miles away.

Happy Running! Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Great Rozette! Community is very important! Thanks for being part of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same. You guys made all the difference in my journey.

    ReplyDelete