Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Mini Pizzas

Every once and a while I will try something new in the kitchen.  I always warn my family and my husband will make the decision on when it will happen.  If he is really hungry, he doesn't want to risk his dinner on something he won't like.  So these trial dinners are pretty on the fly.  It goes sorta like this:

Me:  "Babe, I thought I would try to make something new tonight.  What do you think?"
Babe:  "What's in it?"
Me:  "Well in it is mini pizzas. Is that okay?"
Babe: "Sure, what do you need for it?"
Me: "I already have it, cheese, spaghetti sauce, and pepperoni."
Babe:  "What is the base?  What are you putting this on?"
Me: "Biscuit dough"
Babe:  (laughing) "No, I don't want biscuit pizzas tonight. I want a real dinner."

We will have this conversation each night until he finally says yes. (Usually on days that he has had a small burger as a snack.)  But when he says yes...I am ready.  

So Monday I received my yes.  I love Google.  I knew someone had to do this before so I googled and guess what?  Apparently, Pillsbury had a recipe.  You can see it HERE.  So I grabbed my ingredients  (Pillsbury Golden layers, string cheese, Ragu Spaghetti sauce, Pepperoni slices, garlic powder and Italian Seasoning), and set out to make them.


Pardon the blurry picture.  A can of 10 biscuits should have yielded 40 pizzas.  Mine only did 22.  I couldn't quite peel each one into 4 separate layers.  Maybe next time I will try putting the can in the fridge for 5 minutes to harden the dough just a tad.  It seemed to get mushy in my warm hands.  And yes, I realize they are not round or the same size.  This is why I don't make homemade tortillas but buy the dough raw and already formed from Walmart.  

The next part was easy.  I just took a tablespoon and put sauce on each one, then put a pepperoni and then shredded the cheese sticks on top of them.  Oh, and then I sprinkled the seasonings, however, I thought I picked up the oregano but instead picked up the Celery Seed and accidentally sprinkled that on the pan on the far right.  I really don't like pepperoni on my pizzas but I do not like cheese pizza, so next time I am going to cut up some bell peppers, black olives and pineapple and add that to my pizzas.

I then placed them in the oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. And this is how they came out.

It's blurry but you get the idea. My family loved them and they will become a staple to our dinner menu.  We always have these ingredients on hand.  But it has given me some ideas for sleepovers.  Now my daughter and her friends can customize their pizzas.  Which is great because it is such a hassle to order pizza for a group of girls.  They all have different tastes.





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment