Monday, July 27, 2009

Imperfect is the new Perfect

So, I am all into this fluffy thing and empowering myself to see beyond my own size. And it is all good. But I guess you become more aware of things as you begin to own them. Lifetime has a new show Drop Dead Diva, about a beautiful skinny minny that dies and comes back as a plus size attorney. It is about her coping with it. I have to be honest, I have only seen about 15 minutes of it and I liked what I saw. Fox is premiering a new show, More to Love, which is about a bachelor who is attracted to all shapes of women, even fluffy. NBC's, The Biggest Loser, has been on TV for several seasons. Ok, I am not too sure about Dance my Ass off, on Oxygen but that is just me personally.


My point is that us fluffy gals are starting to be recognized in mainstream media. Fluffy is the new gay in Hollywood. Let me explain myself. There was a time in mainstream media that being a gay was something you did in the closet. If there was a character on a show that was gay, it was only hinted to or considered their dark secret. Then with shows like Will and Grace, stars Ellen De Generes and Rosie O'donell and numerous of pop singers that are pretty open about their lifestyle, it has become pretty mainstream. Now when you see a person on a show, that happens to be gay, they are just one more character on show ....and they happen to be gay Just like some happen to be brunette or blond or male or female. I don't want to debate whether being gay is right or wrong. My point is they are recognized as just a part of mainstream society.


Don't get me wrong, I love my size 2 or 4 or 6 gals on TV and in real life. But the average size women in America is a size 14. So shouldn't the average size women in the ads on TV and characters on TV be average sized? Ok, maybe we, as a society, won't accept it. But what about a good mix of all sizes. A mix so varied in sizes that it would be difficult to describe one of the characters on the show as "ya know that big girl." You wouldn't be able to single them out just on that one trait because that one trait would not apply to just one character.

So where am I going with this? Last week while trying to win a pair of Lunarglide+ on Twitter, I was sent to an article about Nike+ Human Race 10K on October 24, 2009 and their requests for Ambassadors. I am applying. We have to answer why we want to run the race. I have many reasons to run this race, my daughter, my family, those people that look at me funny when I say I am a runner, those gals who tell me that they don't think they can run because of their size. I want to prove to myself and to them that yes, I am a runner. Yes, I love to run. Yes, I am running the Human Race...we humans come in all shapes and sizes. There are soo many other reasons why Nike can choose not to pick me, but I don't want one of those reasons to be because I am fluffy.


So, I didn't win a pair of Lunarglide+ from Nike promo last week. However, one of my favorite bloggers, Cyndi, won a pair. WUU HUU. Pin It

2 comments:

  1. As always, I love to read your posts! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Shout Out! I hope my shoes come today or tomorrow, I'm getting antsy!

    I totally agree with where you are coming from here. We need more 'fluffy' women to get out try the active lifestyle - I was encouraged at my half marathon in May to see many shapes and sizes at the start line. I thought 'GOOD FOR US!' As more women become empowered to participate in an active lifestyle regardless of their 'size' or 'age' ~ the more mainstream it will become!

    I think we're off to a good start, don't you?

    ReplyDelete