Thursday, January 10, 2013

Paparrazi! Paparrazi!

Ok, call me addicted, but right now the flavor of the month, is researching anything photo/video.  Maybe it is my ADHD but I can focus, no pun intended, on a topic for days and consume as much information on the topic as possible. 

Last night I was listening to  Paperclipping Roundtable and Izzy mentioned photojournalism and Rangefinder cameras.  I had no idea these creatures even existed.  So what did I do?  I googled it and read more about it.  According to Digital Photography School a rangefinder camera is great for photojournalism because they allow you to be more stealth when taking a pictures in public or at an event.

Confused?  So was I!  So if you don't feel like you need all the little details of the rangefinder, here are some basic facts.
  1. You use prime lenses only (so you don't zoom etc)
  2. The view finder is not centered above the lens so what you see is not exactly what you capture.  (So don't use it for any closeups)
  3. It has a mechanism on it that allows the user to measure distance between subject and camera.
  4. But for me the best feature is that I can seem inconspicous at family events when I want to take candid pictures.
  5. Ok, Ok....and I love the retro look.
However they are crazy crazy expensive so they don't even make the "want" list. They make my " in your dreams if you ever win lotto" list. 

However, on my journey to find an image for the GIF (iPhone tripod mount...not going into details about it...my excitement is what I have to say next.....

I found this iPhone Rangefinder!  It is an Iphone case that turns your Iphone (sorta) into a rangefinder phone.  You view through off center viewfinder, you can use lenses (you can buy case with lenses or without).  It has a place for straps so you can wear it around your neck.  The bottom has universal tripod mount thingy (ok...so I am still learning my terms). And it is just darn stinkin cute!



The iPhone Rangefinder at the Photojojo Store!

Wear around your neck!


The iPhone Rangefinder at the Photojojo Store!

Choose different covers!


The iPhone Rangefinder at the Photojojo Store!

Some of the other features are a Tripod mount on the bottom, magnetic lenses that attach to your lens, viewfinder and real shutter button.

Oh there is also an app at the app store called View Finder Classic that will calculate distance from subject.  It is 99 cents?  WHAT not free?  No, not free but close to it.

Now this will go on my want list! FYI....I have not been contacted by them or anything.  I just found this product and I wanted to share it.  If you have this, please leave a comment and let us know what you think of it? 





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment