Thursday, April 19, 2012

Very Pinteresting

I am addicted to Pinterest. I love pinning things. I can pin for hours. As a matter of fact, when I discovered Pinterest, I couldn't wait for Saturday morning. On Saturday mornings, my internal clock would wake up at 6 am however, my body didn't want to get out of bed before 10am. (All of you with small children that wake up at 6 am for cartoons and breakfast...be patient. You're day will come when you can sleep in.) So I would lie in bed with my Ipad and I would pin for hours....literally hours.

So when my bestfriend's mother asked for help in planning a baby shower for said friend, I said "heck yeah!" And when she sent me a picture that I recognized from Pinterest....well I became more than happy. I was friggin ecstatic. Over the next few days I will reveal different portions of the baby shower and the origination of the idea. I don't believe I have an original creative idea but I think I can copy alot of paper crafts.

So today we will start with the butterfly drink toppers. I am not sure what they are really called but I had not seen them until I ventured to a website to look at another item and I came across a picture of one.

Now, unfortunately, Tip Junkie, did not tell you how to make these. So I searched high and low for directions. I checked youtube. I googled and checked etsy. To no avail, I could not find a how to. Come to think of it, I have not prepared a how-to either but I will do so this weekend.

Any who, after many failed attempts, I was finally able to make my own version.

I used:
Cricut Expression
Cartridge: Gypsy Wandering
Software: Cricut Craft Room
Paper: Co'ordinations
Pen: Signo pen in white

Let me start by saying I love my Expression and I have grown fond of Cricut Craft Room. My Gypsy died a few weeks ago, so I had to use Cricut Craft Room. I was pleasantly surprised. The concept behind CCR is that you can design with any cartridge (yeah) but you can only cut with carts that you own (boo). And you have to load each cart individually when you use multiple carts for one cut (double boo). If you own a Gypsy, you know that the fact that you didn't have to load your carts was a huge benefit to owning a Gypsy. Thankfully, I only used one cart for these butterflies. They aren't the butterflies I wanted to use but I don't own the Hannah Montana cartridge and it has be prettiest butterflies and I didn't want to buy a whole cartridge for one image. (Ok ok...I know all you Cameo owners are snickering at me...and I don't blame you.)

So the first thing I did was cut the butterflies. However they looked plain to me so I decided to dress them up with dots. I would have preferred real stones but these were going on glasses so I didn't want to risk one dropping into a drink and someone swallowing it.




I think the dots just add alittle of interest. I must admit, I saw Monique Griffith first do this to her die cuts. She usually adds three dots on things.

Once I figured out how to bend them to to add just a small slit on the underside, putting them on the glasses became a piece of cake.


What do you think?
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment